Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Train Pals.. !

Train travel can be very boring. Specially when you have to travel for close to 2.5 hrs every day and given that you don't have company while in the train, its a real struggle. One thing you can do to kill time is read, but heck, am not the one who can read after a tiring day at work and later college. Its an even worse thing to do than sitting idle. Same is the case with me, I travel from Malad to Churchgate and back and more often than not, I am alone and reading is the last thing I'll do given my situation at the time of the day.

But it was different yesterday. I took the 8.38 PM Borivali slow from Churchgate. Generally I take a fast, but yesterday it was too crowded with no place to sit. As soon as I stepped in and having digested the fact that it was a slow, I though this would be the most boring hour of journey back home with nothing to do and no one to talk to. Until 4 well dressed gentlemen came in and sat at the porch in front of me, 1 of them sat besides me. Three of them were, I assume, newly married guys somewhere around 25-30, and the one sitting besides me was an elderly guy probably in the mid 40's.

As soon as they entered the compartment talking to each other, I realised they all were Gujju's and discussing Stock Markets (no price for guessing here, its so obviuos, any well dressed Gujju with a diary and a business magazine/newspaper boarding a Borivali local from Churchgate almost always has to be associated with the Stock Market) I was spot on!

All of them were either Manager, Reserarch Head, Director of a Broking House. The one sitting besides me (I remember his name but somehow I feel I shouldn't disclose) was the Treasurer of Associated Capsules Group a Finance and Consulting firm based at Nariman Point. I sneaked into his business card while he was shuffling something in the bag. The gentleman sitting opposite me was carrying two copies of the latest edition of Outlook Money. One of his curious colleague asked the reason for the same. His pal, sitting besides him, instantly answered saying he is a proud man today. His article has been published in the magazine as he passed the copy to the person sitting besides me. I was amazed.

I couldn't read the article entirely, but I noticed the byline. He was the Head, Institutional Sales, SBICap Securities. I couldn't believe for a second I was sitting in the company of big people, the Treasurer besides me, the Head of Institutional Sales in front of me. Slowly but surely, I started getting interested in what they were talking about. Without making any eye contact, I continued to closely listen to them since I am very much interested in these topics.

They were talking about certain scrips which would do well in the future, RPL, Suzlon being a few. They spoke about everything from the way ahead for the market, some funds doing great, some of the sectors they were tracking and the like. Towards the end they were discussing about launcing a new mutual fund! Yes, they were talking about the admistration part of it and what problems could they face in the future and stuff like that.

What really amazed me was the fact that inspite of being such highly qualified people, they were so polite and good natured in the way they interacted. Ofcourse they knew each other very well, but the way they were discussing and putting their point across was really heartening to hear. Their discussion kept me interested throughout and without really making them concious, I kept listening to them. I did not speak a word simply because I felt they would feel awkward to talk to someone they dont know and mind you they were talking some real dope regarding the Stock Market and being experts in what they do, I would assume they would get it right!

All in all, it was a very good and enriching experience. It was also very inspiring since I always wanted to get into something related to the Stock Markets and Analysis and Research of the same. I hope I get capable enough to step into their role one day in the future. Who knows, someday down the line, I could inspire someone the same way!

No comments: