Wednesday, August 29, 2012

10 years on..

I enjoy writing about certain experiences I go through in life that teach me something. The ones that help me change the way I think for the good. Basically, the ones that make me a better person and help me live with much more fulfillment. But today I am writing something which I want never to happen again. Something that I disliked and find disgusting. I want to write so that I can vent it out of me and not think about it again.  

I was standing at the signal the other day waiting for it to turn green so I could cross the street to the opposite side. I heard someone yelling something behind me. I thought he was talking on the cell phone so I didn't pay heed until I heard some specific words he used. I heard 'bloody', 'killed', 'Americans' and it forced me to look behind. A middle aged white local on a bicycle besides me waiting to cross the street to the other side looked straight at me and was ranting on top of this voice. 

He said and I quote, "10 years ago you f***** our city and now you want to be friends?" 

I was shocked. First reaction in my mind, I really want to give it back. I want to tell him, in his language, that it was not us. And, even if it was us, it was not ME! Why are you telling me? But then, something kept me back. I must admit, I was a bit scared. I didn't want to be a victim of his ferocity. What if he carries a gun? Things can get ugly. 

I didn't say a word, looked away and took a step to get to the opposite side. His words still reeling in my head. I stopped and looked back at him. He left with a rage. I could hear he was still yelling something while was riding away. I walked away, head down, wondering what just happened. 

As I walked towards my destination, I realised, I had a stubble, not very heavy but enough for whites to 'assume' which religion and country I belong to. How disgusting can people get? I am still trying to come to terms with what happened. It was probably a one off incident, but then I am really amazed and saddened at the fact that there are people in this country who still single out a particular religion. Even if I belonged to place the attacks were planned at, how can someone just accuse me of being the culprit? Why do they have to blame everyone for the wrong-doing of a certain few? 

There can probably never be an answer to this question. I am fortunate enough to have only been exposed to an ugly conversation. There are so many other innocents who have been tagged as extremists and barred from living a normal life in this country. Only and only because they belong to a certain religion and come from a certain country. I can feel for them. I will overcome this soon enough. But am sure some of the other less fortunate ones would probably never be able to. 

It is a pity that such a wonderful country has such narrow-minded people. I just came across one of them. There may be so many. People's attitude needs to change. I can only hope it changes with time. It probably will change if the current generation keeps passing the message lower down that humanity is above all nationality and religion. History books will keep telling us what happened, but we should learn to live in the future. Why discuss past events and further incite differences? 

Phew.. I should be fine. I wish I would not have to write another such experience again. No one would. I hope. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

such buggers are every where in this world, it is better to avoid such fools.
Stay alert!!!my fnd